Halton is one of seven regions to move into stage three of the province’s plan to reopen the economy. Ontario Premier Doug Ford made the announcement earlier today.
“We’re working with communities across the province to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and help more businesses safely and responsibly hang up their ‘Open for Business sign,” Ford said. The decision was made in cooperation with the province’s Chief Medical Officer of Health based on four weeks of data. Businesses expected to reopen include indoor restaurants and bars, as well as more in person medical services.
The following regions will move into stage 3 effective July 24:
- Durham Region Health Department;
- Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit;
- Halton Region Health Department;
- Hamilton Public Health Services;
- Lambton Health Unit;
- Niagara Region Public Health Department; and
- York Region Public Health Services.
“Entering Stage 3 does not mean the fight against COVID-19 is over. We all must remain vigilant and continue following public health advice to ensure the progress we have made so far in stopping the spread will not be undone,” Health Minister Christine Elliott said. Businesses that can reopen include indoor restaurants and bars as well as gyms.
Ontario recorded 135 new cases overnight. 20, 913 tests were completed yesterday. Halton numbers this morning stand at 894 overall cases, with 35 considered active, and 834 as resolved.
Municipalities continue to introduce bylaws requiring mandatory face coverings for residents. Halton Region’s bylaw comes into effect Wednesday July 22, 2020. Provincial officials will continue to monitor case numbers, and restrictions in case they need to be tightened.