By: Morgan Sharp, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, National Observer
It was an off-again job market for young workers in retail, hospitality and other high-contact industries most sensitive to fluctuating public health restrictions in April, with COVID-19’s third wave shutting down many smaller businesses across Canada.
Twice as many young workers lost jobs last month compared to the core 25- to 54-year-old labour force, Statistics Canada data released on Friday show, with Ontario’s stay-at-home order and British Columbia’s circuit breaker illustrating the divide between the fortunes of those who can and cannot work from home.
Around 101,000 people aged 15 to 24 lost work, StatCan said, mostly in those two provinces, and mostly due to the fluctuating demand for their labour in industries more prone to elasticity in line with evolving public health restrictions (and economic policy decisions).
Among the larger, older cohort, 48,000 jobs were lost, mostly full-time work done by women. Those aged 55 and older accounted for another 58,000 job losses, while another 288,000 people worked less than half their usual hours.
The precarious employment prospects of certain lower-income jobs has had knock-on effects in rental markets, where advocates fear a looming eviction crisis fed by landlords encouraged to move tenants out to catch up to market rents as some residents fight back.
The job losses among younger workers offset gains in March and left youth employment 10 per cent below the pre-pandemic level. And the outlook is just as uncertain for both high school and post-secondary workers.
“May will mark the beginning of the summer student job season — an important source of income and work experience for many youth,” the report said, pointing out that in May 2020, summer student employment was more than 40 per cent off the previous year.
“The prospects for summer jobs … (will) … likely depend on evolving public health measures and the safe return to in-person leisure activities,” it said.
In Ontario, the education minister has not indicated that schools will reopen before a summer break, but has said boards must offer a virtual option, with at least three-quarters of its 300 minutes a day of real-time online teaching, known as synchronous learning, for the entire 2021/22 school year.
The overall workforce is much closer to pre-pandemic conditions, but it is an unbalanced recovery that is hurting student workers.
In 2019, almost two-third of returning students who worked in the summer did so in retail, recreation, accommodation and food services, or information and culture industries.
Almost all their activities were more sharply curtailed than those in professional, scientific, and technical services, an industry grouping with almost seven per cent employment growth above its pre-COVID level.
Net employment gains of more than four per cent have been recorded in finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing, and public administration compared with February 2020.
The data are a snapshot of the month measured in the week of April 11 to April 17, when schools in Ontario were also closed for a delayed spring break. Some 44,000 education workers — a number that also skews younger — are contractors or temporary staffers not employed during school breaks.
Ontario has driven overall labour market trends recently, accounting for 60 per cent of the net national employment change in three of the past four months with about 40 per cent of the workforce.
Education Minister Stephen Lecce had insisted the province’s schools would stay open on April 1, the same day Premier Doug Ford’s government pulled an “emergency brake” meant to stifle the movement of more virulent strains of COVID-19, which were driving a surging third wave of infections.
A week later, that was upped to a third state of emergency and provincewide stay-at-home order, in force for four weeks. On April 12, Lecce said students would be learning remotely until further notice. The emergency orders were extended on April 16 and are now due to expire on May 19.
The COVID-19 pandemic had an immediate sharp impact on the job market and a long tail that is creeping up in both unemployment and underemployment.
Across the country, there were 84,000 fewer retail jobs in the month, 59,000 fewer in accommodation and food services, and 26,000 gone in information, culture and recreation.
Job losses in accommodation and food services — bars, restaurants, hotels, clubs — make up almost 71 per cent of the overall employment gap since February 2020, the last full month before restrictions were first introduced.
In addition to employment losses, the number of employed people working less than half of their usual hours increased by 288,000 (27.2 per cent).
Around three million people in Canada are currently working from home (not including those who were already working in the home, either paid or unpaid).
Tag: COVID19 Canadian Economy
-
Young workers hit by off-again job market in April
-
Canada’s 2020 economy was its worst performace on record
By: Terry Haig
The COVID-19 pandemic drove Canada’s economy to its worst showing on record, according to data released today by Statistics Canada.
Figures from the federal data agency show real gross domestic product shrank 5.4 per cent in 2020–the steepest annual decline since comparable data was first recorded in 1961.
The 5.4 per cent compares with the pullback of 2.9 per cent during the global financial crisis in 2009. It was also worse than experts had previously expected.
Preliminary estimates from late January had suggested the economy suffered contraction of 5.1 per cent last year.
Statistics Canada said GDP–the total value of all goods and services produced–grew by 2.3 per cent during the last three months of the year, but that was not enough to offset the plunge it experienced during the middle half of 2020.
It said the drop for the year was due to the shutdown of huge parts of the economy in March and April during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. A recovery began in May.
After that, economic activity steadily–and slowly–grew until last December, when the economy lost 63,000 jobs and the unemployment rate moved up slightly–to 8.6 per cent from 8.5 per cent.
(It was 5.6 per cent last February, before COVID-19, and peaked at 13.7 in May.)
As well, this past January–as the country’s vaccine rollout lagged, the economy took a hit for a second straight month, as Statistics Canada reported a loss of 213,000 jobs–the biggest loss since last April when some two million jobs disappeared as the COVID-19 pandemic widened.
Moreover, the data showed the January unemployment rate rose 0.6 percentage points to 9.4 per cent–its highest since August.
That decline left Canada with 858,300 fewer jobs–4.5 per cent fewer–than last February, just before the first wave of the pandemic hit.
Another 529,000 people managed to keep their job but were working less than they would normally because of the pandemic. -
Over 200,000 Canadians Lost Jobs in January
By: Morgan Sharp, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, National Observer
January’s restrictions on some economic activity in Ontario and Quebec hit hard for teenage workers, who often work in part-time retail jobs made at least temporarily obsolete by closure.
Some 74,000 teenagers aged 15 to 19 lost their jobs across the country in the first month of 2021 — the 11th month affected by COVID-19 measures — according to the latest national monthly jobs data from Statistics Canada, while another 34,000 20- to 24-year-olds were laid off.
Around 213,000 people lost jobs in the month, almost all of them part-time positions, meaning less than 30 hours per week.
That pushed employment among high-schoolers further from pre-pandemic levels than for young adults, a reversal of a recent trend.
Many young people work in retail, where 160,000 jobs were lost, almost all of them in Ontario and Quebec, which both limited non-essential shopping after Christmas.
An extended school-from-home setup has also made it harder for mothers of younger children to maintain paid work as students attended virtual classrooms from their living rooms.
The employment rate for mothers of children aged between six and 12 fell the most since April, after having approached pre-pandemic levels in September and sitting stable before the winter.
Teenagers are further from pre-pandemic employment levels than those in their early 20s for the first time since the summer.
Provincial measures weigh on job market
Ontario declared a state of emergency and days later Premier Doug Ford announced a “stay-at-home” order in the week in mid-January when Statistics Canada was surveying around 40,000 Canadians for the employment snapshot.
The province lost 154,000 jobs in January, a 2.1 per cent drop that was the first notable slip since May. Almost all of those losses were part-time retail or hospitality jobs.
Ford had previously imposed a “provincewide shutdown” starting on Boxing Day, which cemented restrictions already in place in the Greater Toronto Area at that time and led to extended school closures.
Ontario’s Ford government plans to reopen classrooms in Toronto and neighbouring regions on Feb. 16, the day after a long weekend holiday.
The Progressive Conservatives acknowledged the StatCan numbers told a tale of lost economic opportunity, but not that they applied unevenly.
“These numbers serve as a stark reminder that behind every economic statistic is a family, a worker or a business owner and the work that lies ahead of us to reach a full economic recovery,” Vic Fedeli, the provincial minister of economic development, said in a statement.
Critics, including opposition politicians and the City of Toronto, have been calling on the provincial government to introduce 10 days of paid sick leave as a way to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
In Toronto, more than 60 per cent of workplace outbreaks have occurred in front-line warehousing, shipping and distribution, manufacturing, and food processing sectors where employees feel financial pressure to work even when ill.
Liam Daly, an economist at the Conference Board of Canada, said January could prove the peak of second wave job loss, but that several industries faced a longer road to recovery and “new, more-transmissible COVID-19 variants may delay the easing of restrictions” and overall job market recovery. -
Trudeau Announces New Aid for Fisheries
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced $469.4 million in aid for fish harvesters unable to access currently available measures.
“Fish harvesters work hard to provide Canadians with nutritious food to put on their tables, and are a vital part of our food supply from coast to coast to coast,” Trudeau said. The funding will be used as follows:- Launch the Fish Harvester Benefit, a program worth up to $267.6 million, to help provide income support for this year’s fishing seasons to eligible self-employed fish harvesters and sharespersons crew who cannot access the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy. Support will be provided to those that experience fishing income declines of greater than 25 per cent in the 2020 tax year, compared with a reference period to be identified. This measure covers 75 per cent of fishing income losses beyond a 25 per cent income decline threshold, up to a maximum individual entitlement equivalent to what is provided under the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy ($847 per week for up to 12 weeks).
- Launch the Fish Harvester Grant, a program worth up to $201.8 million, to provide grants to help fish harvesters impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and who are ineligible for the Canada Emergency Business Account or equivalent measures. This will give them more liquidity to address non-deferrable business costs. The program would provide non-repayable support of up to $10,000 to self-employed fish harvesters with a valid fishing licence. Size of the non-repayable support will vary depending on the level of fish harvesters’ historic revenue.
- Propose measures or changes to Employment Insurance (EI) that would allow self-employed fish harvesters and sharespersons to access EI benefits on the basis of insurable earnings from previous seasons (winter and summer claims).
These measures build on $62.5 million Canadian Seafood Stabilization fund announced last month.